Ronald Koeman asks questions about the European Super League with Barcelona, one of three teams that haven’t retired yet … but he agrees with Gerard Pique’s protest tweet that “football belongs to the fans”.
- The European Super League proposal collapsed on Tuesday evening
- The Premier League Big Six and three other teams have pulled out of the plans
- Only Juventus, Real Madrid and Barcelona remain part of the breakaway league
- But Barcelona boss Ronald Koeman has said little about his thoughts on the league
Ronald Koeman chose to dodge questions about Barcelona’s involvement in the controversial proposals for a European Super League.
The runaway project tumbled to the ground Tuesday night when the Premier League ‘Big Six’ – Manchester City, Chelsea, Arsenal, Manchester United, Liverpool and Tottenham – pulled out just 48 hours after plans to become a founding member were announced.
The English teams have since withdrawn from the Super League with Atletico Madrid and the duo Inter Milan and AC Milan of Serie A. Juventus, Real Madrid and the Catalan team are the only remaining members of the proposed competition.
Ronald Koeman asked questions about Barcelona’s involvement in the European Super League
The Dutchman confirmed that President Joan Laporta (left) spoke to him about plans on Tuesday
When asked about the La Liga home game against Getafe in the Super League on Thursday, Koeman admitted that things had changed since club president Joan Laporta spoke to him on Tuesday, but said he did not know what the future was like will look.
“I spoke to the president about the Super League yesterday and he explained the club’s stance to me,” said Koeman.
“But so much has changed since yesterday that it is best not to comment. So many things can happen that it is better to wait. I want the best for the club. ‘
But when asked whether he liked the idea of a Super League, he simply replied, “I won’t answer any more questions about the Super League.”
Pressing his own opinion again, he stated, “I don’t want to talk much about this topic, but I agree with Pique’s tweet.”
The Dutchman was referring to a tweet from the center-back following news of the British clubs’ withdrawal that said, “Football belongs to the fans. Today more than ever. ‘
However, Koeman announced that he doesn’t know if Barcelona’s players have been consulted this week
Koeman added that he did not know if the players had been discussed about the proposals after the announcement, but insisted that he was not interested in whether or not they were consulted as his team was on duty tomorrow.
However, the 58-year-old turned down proposals that could distract his players with talks in the Super League as the club has not yet been eliminated.
“Players want to win titles,” he added. “I don’t doubt my players, we’ll play well tomorrow.”