Many people tend to be curious about telemedicine coding work because they think it is a quick and easy job of working from home.
However, it’s like Home medical bill, This is not something you can dive in and start doing.
Almost every company that hires you to do this will require you to obtain certification, and possibly a degree, before you start work.
Having said so much, don’t be discouraged. If you want to do this, it is possible. Below, I provide you with all the details you need to do this.
What is a medical coding job?
The medical coder converts the medical service provided into a billing code. Almost all medical services have a code, and you will see these codes when you receive a bill from a doctor and/or hospital.
Medical diagnostics and various supplies used in medical facilities also have unique codes, so this work is actually much more complicated than it sounds at first.
Medical coders must take care that what they do is very accurate to ensure that everything is properly billed.
What is the salary of a medical coder?
according to Salary net, The average annual income of medical coders is between US$45,000 and US$61,000.
What does it take to become a medical coder?
Companies that hire medical coding may also be looking for someone with an RHIA or RHIT degree (registered health information administrator or registered health information technician), CPS (certified coding expert), or CPC (certified professional coder).
Most vocational schools and many universities (online and offline) offer courses that you can take in this field, after which you can take the qualification exam.
They offer tuition payment plans and discounts for military spouses.
How long does it take to obtain certification?
It may take six months to one year to complete your studies so that you can take the certification exam.
If you get an RHIA or RHIT degree, you may need two to four years.
Who hires the job of family medical coder?
Several companies provide telemedicine coding work. But just like medical transcription, if you have never worked in medical coding before, it is difficult to get these jobs at home even if you are certified.
Here are a few companies to look at:
- iMedX – Three years of experience are required.
- Aviation code – Three years of experience and certification are required.
- Coding network – Three years of experience and certification are required.
- Conifer health – Click “Search for available job vacancies” and enter “remote office” in the keyword box to find a list of family positions. They need certification and three years of experience.
- Maxim’s Health Information – Will hire coders with three years of experience and certification to work from home.
- nThrive – Provide vacancies for telemedicine coders on a regular basis. Full-time position in the United States.
- indeed with Flexible work Also regularly share telemedicine coding positions. Note that FlexJobs is not a free job committee, but you can use the promo code AFFILPROMO to get a 30% low membership fee discount.
You can also check the doctor’s office and hospital locally to see if they have any remote coding locations available.
Medical coding fraud
You must beware of the scam of medical coding work. Don’t pay for nightly medical coding courses from a poorly reputable company, especially if you find an advertisement that is promising that you will make all sorts of money in 30 days or less.
This will not happen in the field of medical coding.
It takes time to learn everything you need and complete the course-as mentioned above, it may take a year or more.
The post was originally published in April 2013. Updated and re-released on June 25, 2020.